July 30, 2006
trying to draw
Ahhh… now I get to demonstrate just how backwards I am when it comes to observation and technique with a pencil. But I said I was going to share my scratchings every few days, so here’s some hand studies I did today. All I can say is that I better step up before I bore everyone to death with this stuff.
Hands. I’ve numbered these illustrations so it’s painfully obvious how rusty I was starting out.
These next ones turned out okay. I was ripping up old W magazines to find hand pictures. There are hardly any interesting hands in these magazines! Often they are limply draped across a handbag or just limp. I like hands that are interacting with things. That kind is more difficult to draw. When I draw my fashion drawings, I want it to look like the hands are manipulating the clothing, or placed naturally on the body. Unfortunately the artificial postures of fashion magazines offer little to observe.
Okay, that was okay for today but in the future I’d like to be a bit more ambitious.
- I need to buy some coloured paper, and some quality chalk and conte, and just get dirtier.
- Pay more attention to anatomy. Get a book on it.
- Practice drawing shoes, all sorts of shoes.
- Develop my analog colouring techniques. I want to play with coloured pencils again.
- Draw an interior of a room that doesn’t look like a tunnel and figures in it that don’t look like they’re floating.
- Scribble insanely so I’ll stop being so uptight and representational.
Often I bat around the idea of producing the “fashion comic book” but I’ve been dissatisfied with my lame attempts at it to date. If I’m ever going to make that idea reality I will need to produce figures interacting with an environment in a dynamic way. I know I can do it. I just have to get the momentum going. It was oddly difficult to get myself to sit down and draw today but once I did it I enjoyed it. With a little discipline hopefully it will become more entertaining and rewarding.
What do you think? Does my process towards greater versatility with illustration interest you or bore you?