November 21, 2007
living to click
It is a rainy, dark day here. I am working and happy. That I have the privilege of illustrating fashion for a living gives me great enthusiasm to continue doing so. It is always challenging, and feels right. A sense of being at the beginning of something.
Sometimes there is a pile of projects to do, like right now. These are the best days – I am working on several Fashion Figures, drawing for my designer clients, and working on cool side projects. Every sketch is not just a new design and a pretty figure, it is like drawing a roof over my head, fresh food from the market, incremental progress on my student debt, and sharp new pencils, and not least of all skills. So of course I am glad to take a few days devoted to my drawing table.
I have not forgotten about Final Fashion, dear readers. So I will now take a little break and assemble some distracting clicks that you can visit until I find the right moment to post proper again.
- I am skipping this week’s review of Episode 7 of PRC, I will have to make next Tuesday a double-header. Thanks to Adrienne for inviting me watch the show with her. We both agreed that the show is improving, and that some designers who have not impressed us with their effort are now bringing it.
- Julian Roberts posts the real professorial lecture on The Fashion Spot that has got me thinking and feeling. It deserves an equally epic response when I have sorted out what my response is.
- Carolyn lent me the first Scott Pilgrim book. I finished it in about half an hour and I enjoyed every minute. Brian Lee O’Malley‘s storytelling, lively lines and expressive characters are quite fascinating to look at.
- Speaking of comic books, are there any comic books out there about fashion? Google tells me… sort of.
- I was posting about a list of professional goals the other day that I am working on… Tricia at Bits & Bobbins is writing lists too, of creative things to-do.
- The Grumpy Owl answered my mustache question. His own mustache has been growing, along with increasing suspense and speculation… looking forward to the gala post.
- Adrian at Fashion Verbatim takes the last word on L’Oreal Fashion Week in his inimitable way.
- Almost Girl has launched a new set of shopping blogs, Almost Pretty, Almost Dressed, Almost Packed, and Almost Heeled. Kind of like how I found it necessary to create Final Food for my off-topic expressions. Julie is a smart girl and I have no doubt at all she enjoys the irony of announcing these blogs on that auspicious week of fashion blog history, Black Friday. Things have changed a lot for all of us since 2005, and it is good to remember the way we were and what we have learned since.
As you may have noticed, a lot of these are blips which want to be epic posts. This will have to do for now.