January 9, 2010
click click – 09-01-10
Welcome to Click Click, the fairly regular roundup of what I find worth clicking on the internet.
- Terry O’Reilly discusses how to create an Atmosphere of Approval for when you’re presenting your ideas. Brilliant! In the same vein I also really enjoyed this video of Seth Godin talking about “thrashing” at the beginning of a project rather than the end.
- This project, showing 100 10×10 rooms in a housing project in Hong Kong is fascinating, provoking a reflection on space, belongings, and individuality. Found via A Material World.
- My interest is piqued by this art exhibit in Los Angeles exploring the conventions of the Paper Doll, featuring some of my favourite artists and bloggers such as Molly Crabapple and Nubby Twiglet. If only I could fly down to see it in person, or reverse time and offer my own contribution.
- Colin McDowell, one of my favourite fashion writers of all time, has a blog!? Here he writes about the fate of the medium as a trend. He brings up some sharp insights, but I’m not sure if I agree with him that blogs are not beginning to compete against the creativity of fashion editorial. See: Luxirare and Hint.
- On that subject, Gawker declared a moratorium on the so-called news story “Style Bloggers in the Front Row”. Exactly. This hasn’t been news since 2006.
- Stylist Tricia Campbell shares the process of designing and creating her custom wedding dress by Christopher Paunil. Such a treat.
- Illustration stuff of interest – fashion scene/society artist Blue Logan, sketching aid Fashionary (sort of like a moleskine especially for fashion designers), charming interpretations of Missed Connections.
- Law firm Cassels Brock is offering FREE education seminars especially tailored for fashion industry entrepreneurs. Sign up here, the first seminar is on January 21 and covers must-dos and pitfalls to avoid to help you position your fashion business for growth. Thanks so much Philip Sparks for the info!
Karma for beautiful bloggers and lovely linkers.
- My entry was chosen as a runner-up by the Canadian Skin Patient Alliance and will be in their new magazine. So exciting, and thank you to Eden for encouraging me to enter.
- So much wonderful reception for my Paper Dolls book continues to surprise and touch me. Thanks and love to Women’s Post, Jaka’s Tea Party, beautygeeks, I want – I got and Gifted.
- And Things of Lovely drools over my Keds project. Aw.
- Met My Vintage Secret on twitter. Sweet site, cool girl. “Kaitlin Simonsen is a Fashion student at Ryerson University in Toronto with an ongoing romance with vintage and thrift-store fashion.”
- Interview with me about my career at high-school student resource My Fishbowl, by the multi-talented Coko Galore.