July 8, 2010
click click – 08-07-10
Welcome to click click, the sporadic review of what I find worth clicking on the internet.
Last night I went to La Lingerie Française fashion show at the Wychwood barns in Toronto. It is a cute and campy show with high-spirited models and of course, beautiful French lingerie. I’ve been trying to figure out the manual controls on my camera, so feel pretty delighted when a few shots turned out well enough to give a sense of how the scene actually looked.
- Painful Memories for China’s Footbinding Survivors – a fascinating story about the few remaining Hunan women with bound feet. These women’s feet were bound after the practice was forbidden by law, and the punishing effects of changing politics and fashion on these women contain a cautionary note for anyone who takes drastic, permanent body modification to extremes.
- Kate Spade’s Deborah Lloyd Talks Business Over Hot Cross Buns – I love this new feature on Racked, it gives a fascinating insight into growing a career in fashion. Looking forward to more of these. Hat tip @maggiewrobel.
- the perils of justifying yourself – I discovered Danielle LaPorte via Gala, and find her voice to have exactly the right combination of ass-kicking and encouragement that any lonely freelancer or entrepreneur craves.
- Why Luxury is Expensive – ever wondered how Hermes makes its amazing scarves? This post does a terrific job of showing the process, with pictures. Hat tip @trucnguyen.
- Sita Sings the Blues – this is a beautiful, full-length animated feature, with incredible 1920s jazz music by Annette Hanshaw, and a universal story about heartbreak. Give yourself some time to get comfortable and watch it.
- the thesis process – ever wonder what its like to be a Parson’s fashion design student doing a thesis? Gilda shares her story.
- does n e 1 know what the g20 protesters are even protesting – count on Hipster Runoff to uncover what the G20 protests are really about – fashion, media, and scene. Also from HRO – the hipster fashion cycle graphic.
Commenters and linkers, internet friends, click click —
- rayanne langdon dot com – “Short posts, hilarious videos, pretty pictures, reblogs and other sweet stuff all along the lines of vintage fashion, excellent music, Internet nerdly nerdstrom-isms and my ridiculous life.”
- Binding Logic – “Besides offering thesis binding, [Judith Patterson] has spent many years focusing on the fine art of bookbinding and restoration.”
- alchemy emma rose hosmer – “i think this term goes hand in hand with my eyes and ears. you see, i find that i can turn anything i want into gold – it may very well be worthless to you.”