August 14, 2014
click click – 14-08-14
Welcome to click click, the sporadic review of what I find worth clicking on the internet.
Above, Mick Jagger getting a haircut, unknown origin. Below, Brian Jones getting his hair cut at NBC in New York in 1965, by Gered Mankowitz. Via The RAW Gallery. Did you know the Rolling Stones used to cut each other’s hair? The original rock and roll haircuts were autocuts.
- rave new world – Rachel R White enters the ever-more virtual rave scene and reveals the it girls who embody it. Crucial.
- Pizza Rulez – a very clever, good fashion link roundup.
- RIP Eleanor Kent – a proto-digital textile designer and computer art pioneer I’d never heard of. She’s awesome. Another inspiring discovery from Tumblr – fashion designer Zelda Wynn Valdez, whose distinctive divided treatment of breasts is just as recognizable as Gaultier’s.
- Jackson Pollack – includes a lot of amazing footage of Pollack working, and a tremendous set of revealing interviews from characters in his life. And if you want another, even sadder – Montgomery Clift.
- The Art of Hair – inspiring record of inventive hairstyles of Nigerian women in the late 1960s.
- Reviving a Dyeing Technique – did you know organic indigo dye is a bacterial culture, a living organism? Also for indigo-lovers of reclaimed beauty, Japanese boro.
- Warhol by Bailey – the fact that I can watch this whenever I want to makes me love everything about 2014. Also, there’s Beaton by Bailey?
- If the shoe in shoe fits, wear it – “a cross-seasonal, day-to-night, layered footwear option.”
- The Chipping Point – it’s like a potluck where everyone brought chips.
- H&M Life – in which I share my social media indulgences with the world.
- How Online Retailers Can Use Fashion Illustrations – I offer my thoughts.